District News & Coming Attractions
Grand National Teams
The team of Daniel Jackson, Jennifer Breihan, Mike Doyle, Jimmy Breihan, and Bill McCarty won Flight B in Las Vegas! Congratulations! Best Flight B team in the ACBL! Well done!
Other District 16 teams also did well:
- The team of Joe and Shawn Quinn with Ira and Ellen Hessel made it to the round of 8 in the Championship bracket.
- The team of Anthony Bianchi, Gary King, Mitch Towner, and Robert Whitcher made it to the quarter finals.
- The team of Bob Shanley, Suzanne Shanley, Courtney Coffman, and David Morris qualified through the Swiss rounds.
Congratualations to all!
The results can be seen here.
You can follow the results from the Austin 4th of July Regional by clicking here. Results will be posted daily. With pictures!
Grand National Teams
The District 16 Finals for Flights A & C were held during the Houston Election Sectional, April 4-6, 2014.
The District 16 Finals for Flights B and the Super Flight were held in during the Dallas Memorial Day Sectional in Richardson May 24-26, 2014.
- The team of Shawn Quinn, Joe Quinn, Ira Hessel, and Steve Shirey won the Superflight!
- The team of Anthony Bianchi, Mitch Towner, Robert Whitcher, and Gary King won Flight A!
- The team of James Breihan, Jennifer Breihan, Bill McCarty, and Mike Doyle won Flight B!
- The team of Robert Shanley, Suzanne Shanley, Courtney Coffman, and David Morris won Flight C!
Congratulations to the winners, and good luck at Nationals!
You can see all the results here.
DO YOU KNOW OF A CHARITY THAT NEEDS A GRANT?
District 16 is one of five districts that has been chosen to receive the “Charity of the Year” grants for 2014.
Beginning in 2005, the ACBL Charity Foundation began issuing grants--these grants are now referred to as Charities of the Year.
If you have a charity that you would like to be considered for a grant, please submit your request—the organization must be a designated 501 (c) 3 organization. Please include any information that may be helpful in understanding why the organization should be considered and in need of receiving the grant. Also, include the name, address and contact person/information of the organization.
Please note that grants will not be awarded to any organization related to bridge. There are two other foundations that award grants specifically to the bridge community: Educational Foundation and Foundation for the Preservation and Advancement of Bridge.
Request for grants must be received by July 1, 2014. Please submit your request to:
District 16 Charity Committee Chair
114 Broad Oaks Court, Houston, TX 77056
New Officers Elected!
Congratulations to the 2014 District Officers:
- President: Jim Thurtell
- First Vice-President: Paul Cuneo
- Second Vice-President: David Pennington
- Executive Secretary: Rebecca Brown
- Executive Treasurer: Lew Levy
Good luck to all!
And welcome to Nancy Strohmer, who is the new Charity Commitee Chair.