UNIT 174 Board of Directors Club Connection Program
The Board continued our effort to connect with our Unit’s members and played at our 16th club, the Ace of Clubs in Houston on May 17. The Club plays every Tuesday and Sunday evening -- reservations are recommended. John Zilic, who is a Grand Life Master, is the Club’s owner/manager. John holds his games in a home and he reminded us that when he was playing in the late 1950’s, that is where almost everyone played bridge…in player’s homes. There was an abundance of wonderful food and great bridge!
Pictured: Board Member Daniel Jackson, Club Owner John Zilic, I/N Coordinator Sheryl Thomas, & Board Members John Caudill, Nancy Strohmer & Ken Hudson.
CB Combs Passes
Charlye Beth "CB" Combs passed away peacefully on Saturday May 14, 2016 in Missouri City. CB was an absolute joy, playing mainly in club games in SW Houston and occasionally participating in local tournaments. - Click for more information
President's Post for May
Bob Armstrong has written his President's Post for May. You can read it by clicking on May President's Post in Coming Attractions.
MiniBridge--a new initiative by the Unit
It is a game that you can learn in minutes that teaches the fundamentals of bridge. We want YOU to invite your friends, kids, grandkids, spouses, etc...and show them bridge without having to learn bidding on June 11. Once they learn MiniBridge, then they can move into bridge much more easily. You can read about it by clicking on "We Need Your Help...Introducing MiniBridge" in Coming Attractions.
Eddie Wold is in the Hall of Fame!
Our own Eddie Wold, with almost 70,000 masterpoints, was elected to the ACBL Hall of Fame!
This was the press release issued by the ACBL:
Eddie Wold of Houston TX has been elected to the ACBL Hall of Fame. Eddie has 15 NABC wins and gold medals in the 2013 d’Orsi Senior Bowl and the 2001 World Transnational Open Teams. Wold earned a silver medal in the 2010 World Championship Mixed Teams in Philadelphia and a bronze in the 1978 Rosenblum teams. Wold has won the Barry Crane Top 500 three times, collected the Mott-Smith Trophy three times and the Lou Herman Trophy twice.
Wold will be inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer at the Washington DC North American Bridge Championships.
It couldn't happen to a nicer guy! Congratulations, Eddie!
ACBL Hall of Fame Dinner
This note is from Betty Starzec:
As you know, Eddie Wold will be inducted into the ACBL Hall of Fame at the Hall Of Fame dinner during the summer NABC in Washington which is on the first Thursday and takes place between the afternoon and evening session. If you plan to be part of the contingent that goes to the dinner, please let Betty Starzec know as she will try to make sure we are all sitting as together as possible. Please let Betty know at Lstarzec@comcast.net.
Bridge Club of Houston Announcements
- Thursday, April 28th - Swiss Team 8 is Enough
- STARTING TUESDAY, MAY 3RD - The Bridge+ game will become a NEWCOMER GAME (0 20 Masterpoints)
- Thursday, May 5th Daytime Mentor/Mentee Game
- MAY 19th through 22nd - 299r TOURNAMENT See Flyer
- Monday Evening May 23rd - Nighttime Mentor/Mentee Game
- Thursday, May 26th - Swiss Team 8 is Enough
- Monday, May 30th - Hot Diggity Dog Day - Open & 299r Sections - Hot Dogs served @ 11am - Game @ 11:55am - BRING SIDES
Southwest Duplicate Bridge Club (JCC)
- The SWDBC (JCC) games will move for the summer
- TUESDAY MAY 31ST will be the first game at new location and we will continue play at the new location each TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY until the last game on TUESDAY AUG 16TH
- The new location is on BELLAIRE BLVD about one block east of LOOP 610
- THE TIME AND COST WILL REMAIN THE SAME
- The venue for these games:
Congregation Brith Shalom
4610 Bellaire Blvd.
Bellaire, TX 77741